Monday, November 19, 2012

START ME UP


Well here I am.  Just little old me writing my very first blog.  This is a whole new world for me and I find it fascinating.  Who am I and why am I doing this and who really cares?  Well I am a cancer graduate.  (I used to say “cancer survivor” but I recently heard the term “cancer graduate” and I like it.) 


Bailey & Me - Thanksgiving 2012
So yep I had breast cancer.  I wrote stuff down.  It started out as a journal for me.  Then I started writing email updates for family and friends to keep them informed and give them an “out” when they didn’t quite know what to say or what to ask.  Then it turned into a story for my family.  It grew into a manuscript for a book.  I even found a literary agent!  I have since discovered that life is too short to wait for a publisher to take an interest in my book.  So now my story has morphed into a blog for sharing.  That is really all I wanted to do was to share my memoir and hopefully inspire and encourage anyone with a personal connection to cancer.

You see (according to the book publishing industry) I am a “nobody”.  But that is exactly the point.  I am not a superstar athlete, a celebrity, a doctor or an established writer, but just an ordinary woman.  I am someone that people can look to and find something of themselves.  I am a woman, a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, an aunt, a godmother and a friend.  I could be the lady who lives down the street, or the woman who works in your office, or the Mom cheering on her kids at the hockey arena, or the wife walking the dog with her husband.  I could be the sister-in-law of your best friend or I could be your neighbour’s daughter or your classmate’s Mom.  Or I could be you.

Back in August 2006 I was going about my life minding my own business and then all of a sudden I was slammed with a breast cancer diagnosis.  I thought that only happened to other people.  Boy was I wrong!  Not sure why I got it and if we are honest with ourselves I would say that most people would ask that question, “Why me?”  No great epiphany has struck me yet.  I will most likely never know.  However, if I can share my story with others and it helps somebody somewhere along the way then that would be a great answer to the question. 

It’s Not Forever, It’s Just For Now was what I kept telling myself when I was in the thick of cancer treatments and surgeries and medications.  It kept me going, kept me positive and kept me looking to a future with no cancer.

I know that there are thousands of people out there with a personal connection to cancer.  I also know that there are thousands of bloggers sharing their stories.  Today I am adding my story to the mix.  I am somebody.  Somebody with a story to tell.



Start Me Up - The Rolling Stones




Leave me a comment below!  Would love your feedback, advice and general 2 cents:)  If you don't have any of the account types listed in the drop down menu, just choose "anonymous".  Write your message and your name so I know who to respond to.  Thanks!

9 comments:

  1. I remember those email updates! I would always get them while I was at work and end up crying in my office all day. Soooooo glad that you're a cancer graduate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thanks Carrie. Remind me to get you some tissue.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Maya! Congrats again on your run and fundraising efforts.

      Delete
  3. I remember those email updates and I would cry when I was reading them as well. TT you have been an inspiration since day one! Such a strong woman, and instead of us finding the right things to say to make it easy for you, you were the one finding what to say to make it easy for us! Hats off to you! You are one HELLUVA woman! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! I will always remember you approaching me at the rink one day during my bald phase. I knew you had no idea what to say but you just wanted me to know that all of the hockey moms from your team were wishing me well. That really meant a lot and convinced me that the email updates were a good way to make everyone feel more comfortable. Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you are doing this, I am sure it will make a difference to someone, somewhere or even me! Thx for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry I hope so to. Take care and I wish you good health and happy days up there in the great white north!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for your support!